Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Celebration Mysore Half Marathon 2011

I got featured in "Runners for Life" fortnightly newsletter after my Half marathon in Mysore..

Here is the link

How did you go about training for the Mysore Half?
I didn’t make many changes to my usual routine while preparing for Mysore Half. Running this course for the first time in Mysore, I was not sure of what to expect. So, I stuck to short runs during weekdays and longer ones on weekends. However, I was fairly confident of a strong finish on the race day as I had clocked a sub 2 PB at Kaveri Trail marathon, just 2 weeks ago.

I train with a wonderful bunch of people and we call ourselves as BTP runners. So there was no dearth of support and motivation.
  1. Describe the day before the Mysore Half. Did you follow your usual pre-race routine or tried something new?
My pre-race routine before the race day didn’t go as planned. Thinking back now, I don’t have any regrets. I bagged my race kit just before the cutoff and checked into the hotel. It was very late by then. Mysore palace was just around the corner and it was impossible to miss witnessing it at its very best. As I stepped in, I was drawn towards where beautiful music was being played. A ghazal concert was going on. Rendition was impeccable, divine and meditative; I spent the next hour there with only my thoughts for company.

Suddenly, it felt like the rain was applauding too - it was crazy. I had to spend some time under palace-arrest (which again I enjoyed thoroughly).

After the rain and at that time of the night, it became difficult to locate places for a decent pre-race dinner. I knew I was hitting the bed short on carb reserves and hydration. It did hamper my performance next morning. I fell short of my target.

Overall, I had my best pre-race experience at Mysore. I am happy with what I got to experience.

  1. On the run at Mysore, how did it feel taking part in the half marathon with the Dasara festivities serving as the backdrop?
Festivals such as Dasara acting as a backdrop, can add only positives to the overall experience. This half marathon made me feel that I was truly a part of entire Dasara celebrations. Palace, elephants, folk dances added a royal touch to the event. Dasara celebrations set the platform for non local runners like me to witness the stature of Mysore.

  1. Your overall experience of running the Mysore Half?
Very memorable and would relish it for a long time. I ran my own race and had fun doing so. Kudos to the organizers for a job well done, given the fact it was their first time.

What I enjoyed very much was the course itself. Course took us through some of the beautiful places in Mysore like Kukkarahalli Lake and Mysore University campus. Aid stations were properly planned and manned.

One let down was the delayed start because of chief guest’s late arrival over which organizers had very little control. So no complaints there. Overall a fine experience and a Sunday morning well spent. 

  1. When you crossed the finish line, how did you feel?
Feeling was euphoric. During the race, I had my moments of doubt about a strong finish but they were all put to rest, once I crossed that finish line.

  1. Will you be back for the 2012 edition?
Absolutely yes and also for the ones to follow it..

Very happy that I am getting recognised for my efforts..

No comments:

Post a Comment